Located only minutes west of Wyoming’s capital city, Happy Jack Ranch is composed of over 13,000 acres of rich grasslands that once supported vast herds of bison, and now keep a large herd of Black Angus cattle fat and happy. The twenty square miles of the ranch are configured almost fully in a single block positioned squarely between the outskirts of Cheyenne and the recreational magnets of Curt Gowdy State Park and the famous Vedauwoo Rocks climbing area. Simply put, as a beautifully situated, turn key cattle ranch with fabulous access and development potential, Happy Jack Ranch has few peers.
When the nation’s first transcontinental railroad, the Union Pacific, passed just south of the present ranch in 1869, the region was already well-known for its bison herds and nomadic Native American tribes that followed them. Today, tipi rings arrowheads can still be found on the ranch. With the completion of the railroad, cattle ranchers, attracted by the easy terrain and rich grasslands, quickly settled. Over the generations, several ranches were consolidated into what became known as “the finest ranch in Laramie County,” a proud legacy that Happy Jack Ranch inherits. With four small creeks on the ranch, and several developed springs and wells, the ranch remains productive even in dry years, and in wet years is a verdant paradise. In addition to the natural grasslands, 400 acres are flood irrigated hay meadows.